From uncovered spaghetti-Os to spaghetti squash, here’s the easiest way to clean the microwave!
When my kids are home all week on school breaks, the microwave gets used a lot. And try as I might, I can NEVER get them to remember to cover up their plates!
Not to worry though! There is a very easy way to clean up even the toughest and oldest microwave explosions:
- In a microwaveable bowl or cup, mix three tablespoons vinegar (doesn’t matter which kind) and one cup water.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and set it on high for 2-5 minutes (depending on how bad/old the mess is)!
- Wait at least thirty seconds for the steam to clear, stand at arm’s length, and open the microwave. The initial blast of vinegar steam is powerful, but harmless. Nevertheless, I like to stand back so I don’t get that “breathing hot wing sauce” sensation.
- The bowl will be HOT Remove it carefully with an oven mitt.
- Often times, the steam will have loosened the mess so much that it can be cleaned with a paper towel, but I usually give it a quick scrub with a non-scratch cleaning sponge, and wipe it up with a microfiber cleaning cloth.
That’s it! No bending over upside down till your neck breaks, just easy cleanup for a fresh clean microwave! The vinegar also helps with any odors that may linger in the appliance.