Why should cleaning your house be so expensive when you most likely have all that you need in your cabinets? Below I’ve gathered a list of items found around the house that may save you time and money (plus you are cleaning without the help of chemicals!)
1. Use Ketchup to… remove tarnish from brass and copper cookware/items. Apply a dab of ketchup to a cloth and rub it on pots, pans etc. Within minutes they should return to their original color. Rinse well with warm water and towel dry!
2. Use Cornstarch to… Clean up grease spills on carpets. Pour cornstarch on spills and let sit for 15 minutes-1/2 hour before vacuuming up.
3. Use White Bread to… dust oil paintings. Carefully dab a slice of (fresh not stale!) white bread over the surface to absorb dirt and grime.
4. Use rice to… clean out those hard to reach areas (thin-necked bottles, vases etc..) by filling item with warm water and adding a tablespoon or two (depending on how big the item you are cleaning) of rice and shaking vigorously. Rinse with warm water after dumping out rice.
5. Use oatmeal to… Scrub dirty hands. Make a thick paste out of oatmeal and water; rinse well.
6. Use coke to… dissolve burnt food stuck on pots or pans. If you didn’t know already, the tasty refreshing beverage coca cola is known to take rust off bolts and blood stains off asphalt, so now that you are completely repulsed by your beverage, instead of throwing it out save it for the next time you need a problem ‘dissolved’. Soak pots and pans with coke overnight; scrub.
7. Use coffee filters to… clean windows. Ditch your cloth and try using a coffee filter! coffee filters contain no lint making cleaning windows less frustrating.
8. Use pencil erasers to… remove smudges from price tags left on glass items (such as picture frames).
9. Use Tang to… clean your dishwasher (not dishes). Yes, good ole’ tang the instant orange breakfast drink. Pour a cup of tang powder into empty dishwasher (where you would put the soap) and put it through a hot cycle. Tang’s acid dissolves mineral deposits! Who knew?