I came across an article today on TipNut.com that provided instruction and recipes to make your own laundry detergent. Read the full article here. It occurred to me after reading this article that although I make almost all of my other cleaning products, I have never even thought to make laundry detergent! I personally use Bi-O-Kleen Premium Powder and love it. Being the kitchen chemist that I am, I think I’d better give some of these recipes a try though. I plan to make these two this weekend:
Recipe #1 Liquid
1 quart Water (boiling)
2 cups Bar soap (grated)
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda
- Add finely grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. You can keep on low heat until soap is melted.
- Pour the soap water into a large, clean pail and add the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until all is dissolved.
- Add 2 gallons of water, stir until well mixed.
- Cover pail and use 1/4 cup for each load of laundry. Stir the soap each time you use it (will gel).
Powdered Laundry Detergent – Recipe #9
12 cups Borax
8 cups Baking Soda
8 cups Washing Soda
8 cups Bar soap (grated)
- Mix all ingredients well and store in a sealed tub.
- Use 1/8 cup of powder per full load.
I will report back in a couple of weeks after I’ve had some time to test them. If anyone else tries any of the others (or has any recipes of their own) I’d love to hear your comments.